Saturday, July 23, 2011

On a recent dream



I was supposed to post this piece much earlier, but I guess it was too early since I didn't. It's been more than two months since I wrote this and even more since what I'm talking about here happened. So here it comes…

The other day I saw another dream with my great-grandma in it. In this dream, I met my grandma after some episode with a lot of running and hiding involved, when I finally escaped and came to the sea. As always in my dreams, the sea was dark grey and looked cold, though the water was warm enough to be able to swim. It was cloudy and chilly, the sky was silverish. When I came near, I saw a wooden embankment in a shape of the Russian "Г" letter. There stood a small mountain to the right around which this embankment was attached forming the mentioned shape. My great-grandma was standing on the embankment and greeted me when she saw me approaching. She however looked slightly different from how she was in reality, or at least during the last years of her life. She seemed much taller and even younger, her back wasn't bending, but her hair was white as always and she was wearing a scarf on her head in a way she always used to do in real life. She wasn't smiling and, though her voice was smooth, the look in her eyes was strict.

I brought with me some creature, almost like the one in the Korean movie "Host", but smaller, and I let it down into the water when I reached the turning point of the embankment. I could see the creature swimming away fast. I followed it with my eyes until it disappeared around fifty meters away. Here my great-grandma turned to me and told me I shouldn't have let it go, I should have put it inside of one of the car tires, placed inside the water and attached to the left side of the wooden embankment in two rows. Like this the creature wouldn't have swum away. Minutes later a scary shark appeared and almnst jumped up the embankment, so my great-grandma told me to place some stones at the edge of the embankment all around it, leaving just a small access to the sea right where the embankment was turning. I did so and checked if it was strong enough. It seemed so, I felt relieved. My grandma was standing there looking at me in the same strict but neutral way. Somehow I knew that while I would be the one leaving from there, my grandma will stay, this will be her fortress.

Days after I wrote this dream down in my notes, I read this article about how Japan shifted several meters in its different parts after the quake of 3/11, and how some coastal towns get flooded with tides up to two times per day, making the life of the residents unbearable. They now have to build defensive embankments made out of seabags to save the foundations of their houses from being washed off gradually by these daily floodings... 

I still can't know for sure what this dream meant, like one never does. Or, better said, it has a way too many meanings. It makes by far much more sense to me now though than two months ago. My grandma used to always do cards' fortunetelling for me and as she can't do it for me anymore now that she is gone, I hope she will keep appearing in my dreams giving me signs and directions. That dream stayed in my memory… Now, a drastic change happened in my life that I'm not yet ready to write about. But my grandma definitely foretold it in a way in this vivid dream… Not that she showed me exactly what was going to happen, but gave me the signs. The water is strong - it gives and takes - and when surrounded by sea like here in Japan, you feel its power over you through its revelation in every single detail - in the humid air, in the lustrous sky, in the reflections of birds' wings in the dark puddles, in the eyes of a dear friend covered by tears...

Below is my sketch of the dream.




No comments:

Post a Comment